Thursday, December 18, 2008

Trial & Error
(snowflake #3)



I think we bloggers often times only come to our blog readers with the best we have to offer. The writer drafts, edits, composes a final draft, and then humbly lays their offer before the public throne. Well, I thought I'd share a do that's NOT like that at all. You see, everything really is 20/20 in hindsight. And sometimes we end up nowhere near where we thought we would. :)

So I think I'm starting a whole new section of "Trial and Error" dos that really looked great in my mind (really) and just didn't turn out at all like I imagined (I have a whole file of 'em, truth be told). Along with "Trial and Error" I'd like to have a "Fix a Flop" section where any of you (including my fabulous hair blogging sisters) take it and well, uh, fix it in your own unique way.

Today I offer my snowflake #3. If you turn it to the side, squint your eyes, and hold your mouth just right, you can at least imagine a snowflake. Right? :wink: This was from my "snowflake" experimenting days. And I realize I'm making a bigger deal out of this than necessary, but it's time to have some fun with my own mistakes. I would even do this one again with a couple small changes.

So...here's how it began. A pony tail. (sound: DUM DUM DUM) Looks innocent enough (prolly should have stopped here), but the plot thickens. Keep looking if you dare.
Then I separated the pony into 6 (equal) sections and started making corkscrews (but you could do braids or twists or whatever you fancy).

YAY! They're done, should be a piece of cake from here (Mmm, cake sounds really good).

Okay, I knew this would be an issue because my darling's hair is pretty long. So I made the corkscrew even tighter which definitely shortened the corkscrew a bit. Then...

I doubled it back on itself. Kinda messy, but we're tying ribbon around it later anyway. No one will hardly even notice it.

Nah...I didn't like. So instead I twisted the hair into little snakes and bobbied them in place (the doubling back would have been best).

I KNOW the little twisties look kinda funky. But at this point I didn't care (it had taken so long just to detangle this hair today). And now I was wishing I had never even seen the cute little PEACOCK do which spiraled me into this last minute dreamed-up snowflake do. But being the hardheaded momma that I am, I kept going.


I'm just gonna use these cutsie little clippies like Babes did for her adorable PEACOCK. Almost there...

Uh oh, what do you MEAN those clippies are too small for my darling's hair? Oh well, I'll just use these big honkin' clippies. That should hold it until I can get ribbon on it.

Ribbon goes on last. Darling picked some sheer ribbon--blue and white is seriously great for snowflakes. I started at the ugly twisty snakes and worked toward the pony.

Yes, I KNOW I didn't do anything cute with the ends of the ribbon (which all met in the middle of the original pony tail). I'm tired, my back hurts, and my pride is a little hurt, too.

So that's that. Not perfect, but it should help get the wheels in your head spinning in case you want to do something similar. Making mistakes is great for anyone wishing to get better at something. These mistakes spawned another couple ideas for dos that we'll do eventually, so nothing is a waste of time if we use it to stretch and grow.

We're beginning to prepare for a huge trek across the country for the holidays. If I don't see you before then, I hope everyone has a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!



8 comments:

♥ Boomer ♥ said...

Well, little snowflake Brayla makes up for any bobbles you may think you had!!!

Next time, have a front view, too, so we can see her sweet little face!!!

And I love your Christmas tree! :-)

Jamie said...

Lol! This post made me laugh so hard. I know how you feel! I'd try it on my dd but we can't really even get a full pony without being creative with her wimpy hair, let alone SIX corkscrews :) I love all your holiday 'dos though, they are so fun!

Have a safe trip!

Joann said...

I was laughing so hard at this post. It is great that you can be so open to placing some "trial and errors." Unfortunately, my girls' hair is nowhere near long enough to attempt a "fix a flop." Good luck in that endeavor, though. And have a Merry Christmas!

April said...

I actually kind of like snowflake #3. Also, just wanted to thank you for the ideas. My dd was a "snow princess" in her school performance and I used snowflake #2 and everyone raved about it.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Jenn said...

You are too cute! Yeah we do have our days of less than cute do's. But I like all your snow flakes. Every one is unique and different just like real snowflakes. I like that!

Girly Do Hairstyles said...

Where are you?

Shauna said...

Hope you have a beautiful weekend! ♥ Hugs :)

Hair design said...

Wow what a wonderful hairstyles. I love this kind of hair styles photos shows the different beautiful hair styles. I hope that you will post more and thank you for sharing.